The Agency organized a launching conference last week in Varna, for the ITM BEE-BSB project – “Increase trading and modernization of the beekeeping and connected sectors in the Black Sea Basin”. The conference was hosted by the City Region Odessos, Varna Municipality.
Participants in the event were representatives of the municipal and government administration, organizations of beekeepers and honey producers, other structures involved in popularizing and consultation with reference to EU funded projects with focus on agriculture.
The conference started with traditional Bulgarian folk dances by a group of students – dancers at the Dance School of the Thracian Society in Varna, after which it was opened by Mr. Atanas Hristov (Deputy Mayor of City Region Odessos) who presented a welcome speech on behalf of Mr. Georgi Nedev (Mayor of City Region Odessos). The speech was focused on the collaboration of the municipal authorities with non-governmental organizations like VEDA that work on projects to support local social and economic development, through support for the primary sectors – agriculture and food processing, including beekeeping.
The conference continued with a welcome speech by Mr. Metodi Nikolov (VEDA Chairman) who has stressed on the importance of neighbors’ relationships in the context of the ITM BEE-BSB project, followed by a speech from Mr. Laurentiu Drasovean (Project Manager at Association Tehnopol of Galati – Lead Partner). Mr. Drasovean presented the association and ITM BEE-BSB project main activities. He made a short overview on beekeeping sector in Romania providing updated statistical data and information on sector development.
The event program continued with following messages by the representatives of partners organizations, who presented the organizations and the situation in the respective countries in terms of apiculture development and trade:
- Message of the representative of Mykolaiv Regional Chamber of Commerce and Industry – Mr.Oleksand Savytskyi.
- Message of the representative of Cahul Business Center – Mr.Anatol Nebunu.
- Message of the representative of Eastern Black Sea Development Agency – Mr. Murat Aladag.
Ms. Todorka Dimitrova (VEDA Director) made a presentation of the project aim, specific project goals, planned activities, including incoming trade fair in Varna in September 2019, and other issues related to project implementation with the support by the European funding.
There were a great interest for the project from the conference’s attendees. A lot of questions were raise during the follow-up question and answers’ session, some valuable proposals were made. Part of the people, who took part in the discussions included:
- Mr. Juri Zarev – Representative of the National Agency for Advises in Agriculture at the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Forestry
- Mr.Dimitar Dimitrov – Chairman of the Regional Association of Beekeepers that embraces 5 region from Varna and surrounding municipalities
- Mr. Valentin Atanasov – Manager of BARD 90 Ltd. – company for honey production, processing, and export with a plant built near Varna (in the Village of Kumanovo) with EU funding.
There were time during the conference, devoted to networking and establishment of new contacts between the guests from partnering organizations from Moldova, Romania, Turkey, Ukraine and the local stakeholders.
The event was closed with a picture of the participants in the conference with the Mayor Mr. Georgi Nadev and the three Deputy Mayors – Mr. Atanas Hristov, Ms. Emilia Hristova and Arch. Nikoleta Staneva.